Saturday, March 13, 2010

Viva Las Vegas!





I just spent 4 days in Las Vegas. It was the annual WPPI photographer convention. It was amazing!! I am not the same person I was a week ago. I assure you I have so much to learn and I don't feel like I am scratching the surface yet.
It brought back a "flood" of memories. Pun intended. Ten years ago I witnessed the worst flood Vegas has had in its populated history. I left for work one morning early and the skies were clear. By afternoon there was a humungous river one block from my house. I literally watched buses and cars getting swept away and finally even a house floating down that river. It was like nothing I have ever witnessed. I have video somewhere.
Anyway, I have lived in Las Vegas twice, once when I worked the summer doing concrete when I was 16 and then again when I was 21 fresh off my mission. About six years ago I even had a very large clientele down there. I was going down about every other month and taking a lot of family and children portraits. Eventually I ended up buying a condo down there as an "investment" thinking that I could use it and ride the real estate wave that was surreal at the time. I literally spent 10 minutes in that condo, total!! I sold it just barely in the nick of time before that house of cards came tumbling down. Disaster averted big time. After the housing bust down there no one was in the mood to spend money on photography any more so I haven't shot anything down there till this week.
My brother had a friend who was kind enough to let us stay at his house. They were great hosts. The kids weren't cooperating so we literally did a 5 minute photo shoot. I always try to take some pics of families who host. So if you are in Hawaii and reading this keep that in mind.

1 comment:

Casey McFarland Photography said...

Thanks Brett, I think that was a compliment so thanks!